“Creativity is contagious. Pass it on.”
— Albert Einstein

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Apple Spice Cake

One word to describe this. Yummy! :)

I love desserts. I mean, who doesn't though? However, I'm always on the hunt for healthier ways to make desserts. So what did I do? Like any other woman (or man) on the hunt for a recipe, I turned to Pinterest. Such an addicting site, right? :)


I had come across a recipe that called for a box of Spice Cake Mix and 1 Can of Pure Pumpkin. I instantly got excited because I just knew I had a can of pumpkin. Well, I had pumpkin pie mix and all the recipes that called for those two ingredients said not to use that. I probably could have, but didn't want to chance it. So, I turned to my cabinet and spotted apple pie filling.

This is all you need. Yes, just these 2 ingredients. 





I blended the apple pie filling up until it was the consistency of apple sauce. My son is not a fan of texture changes while eating, so I figured this way he would be more likely to try it. :) One the apples were finished blending, I added that to the spice cake mix. I mixed with a whisk, obviously you can use a mixer. :)



 Again, these are the only two ingredients I used. The box of cake mix and the apple pie filling. My husband was surprised to learn I didn't use the eggs or oil that the cake mix called for. Once your apple filling and cake mix is well blended, pour into your cake pan! I used a 13X9 cake pan.

I baked the cake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes. I checked it at 20 minutes and decided on the extra 10 minutes. Just keep an eye on it.
 


The true test of whether or not this cake was a success, having my son Ronnie taste it. As you can see, he had no problems cleaning his plate! Hey, that's saying a lot for this VERY picky eater! :) Now, I just need to sneak in some carrots next time! ;)

As of right now, I'm on a search for a healthy, but tasty cream cheese frosting for this cake. I personally could eat the cake without it, but the hubs likes frosting! :)

According to the Recipe Calculator at Spark Recipes there is only:
182.5 calories
    3.0 grams of fat
      .3 grams of sugar

per serving. This makes 12 servings.


I hope you enjoy this as much as we did! :)

Until the next time....


No comments:

Post a Comment